Published 12 April 2023
Buckie Got It, St Kitts Nevis News Source
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Senior Crown Counsel, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Senior Crown Counsel
REPORTS TO : Solicitor General
supervises : Crown Counsel and Legal Secretary
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 19
A. RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of professional efficient and ethical legal services to the Government of Saint Lucia in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil Legislation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting on contracts and other agreements.
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Solicitor General.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General and Permanent Secretary on matters related to work in progress.
B. DUTIES AND TASKS
- Prepares, presents and represents the Government of Saint Lucia in all civil matters in the High Court and Court of Appeal and provides guidance and assistance to the Crown Counsel in the conduct and progress of matters.
2. Functions as a legal representative of the Government locally, regionally and internationally in matters involving constitutional and other civil issues.
3. Prepares all legal documents to be filed in civil matters.
4. Appears in appeals in disciplinary matters before the Public Service Appeal Board and the Income Tax Appeals Tribunal.
5. Provides legal advice to all Ministries and Government and Government Departments to ensure that the interest of the Government is safeguarded.
6. Drafts and vets Deeds and Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding, Contracts, Notarial documents to which Government is a party.
7. Reviews, vets and approves documents for Marriage Licences, Aliens Licences and any other related matter.
8. Advises the Attorney General on applications by Non-Profit Companies.
9. Advices the Attorney General on applications for admission to the Bar by non-citizens.
10. Vets Loan Agreements with Foreign Governments or Agencies.
11. Processes Mutual Legal Assistance Requests (internal and external), Letters Rogatory including matters of extradition and registration of restraining orders and advising on treaty and international obligations.
11. Represents the office of the Attorney General on various committees, statutory bodies and other Boards established by Government.
12. Represents the Government of Saint Lucia at workshops, conferences and other meetings locally and overseas.
13. Liaises with other Senior Crown Counsels ensuring familiarity with all major litigation involving Chambers.
14. Acts as Tutor Ad Hoc in applications for adoption of infants.
15. Prepares and represents the State in the adjudication of matters, mediation, negotiation, and in particular Boards of Assessment.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Attorney General and the Permanent Secretary.
1. Functions in a scheduled traveling post and receives traveling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
2. Required to maintain motor vehicle for the proper performance of duties.
3. Accommodation provided in a general administrative office.
4. Institutional support provided through appropriate civil service regulations and departmental guidelines.
5. Salary and allowances, and vacation leave are in accordance with the terms and conditions stipulated by Government in the Estimates/Collective Agreement and policy documents.
6. This post is non-pensionable.
D. EVALUATION METHOD
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
1. Demonstrated supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills.
- Punctual and consistent attendance to duties.
3. Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
4. Compliance with Ministry guidelines and standard operating procedures.
5. Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
6. Compliance with and responsiveness to supervision and level of supervision given.
E. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Legislation, Civil Service Rules and Regulations, Collective Agreements.
2. Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently on multiple tasks/projects and complete assignments within specified deadlines.
3. Ability to plan and organize work and prepare clear concise reports.
- Extensive knowledge of the court procedure.
5. Extensive knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
6. Knowledge of Government procedures and practices.
7. A sound working knowledge of the Laws of Saint Lucia.
8. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the Public.
9. Ability to analyse issues, make interpretations and sound recommendations.
10. Proven ability to solve legal problems in a methodical and practical way.
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s Degree in Law and a Legal Education Certificate plus five (5) years legal experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in Law plus a Legal Education Certificate plus a minimum of seven (7) years legal experience.
G. SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Salary is at the rate of EC $103,194.00 per annum.
Legal Allowance $24,000.00
Travel Allowance $ 8,808.00
Telephone Allowance $ 1,098.00
Entertainment Allowance $ 3,780.00
Salary and allowances are exempt from income tax.
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Friday, 5th May 2023. .
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to [email protected]. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.