Local Sports, Sports


Published 9 March 2023


Buckie Got It, St Kitts Nevis News Source



Yohannes Mitcham scored a last-gasp goal to give Honda Newtown United a 3-2 victory over S
L Horsfords St. Paul’s United Sunday in the SKNFA Premier League at Warner Park. The match
was highly anticipated as a clash of the titans and was extended for 22 minutes due to medics
tending to a St. Paul’s player who picked up an injury in the second half. That was enough time
for a sensational finish.

Scoring for St. Paul’s 
Kalonji Clarke 22nd min 
Keithroy Freeman 90th +12 min 
Scoring for Newtown Utd 
Marvin Mcsheene 35th min 
Yohannes Mitcham struck twice 31st & 90th + 22 min
Red card 
Kalonji Clarke (St.Pauls) 57th min 
(Violent Conduct) 

After the match, Coach Anthony Nets Isaac of Newtown United commended his team for
remaining resolute and coming away with the win. “For the first part of the game, we were very
satisfied at halftime…we came out the first half and did what we had to do,” Isaac said. “Coming
back into the second half, the first thing I told them, please don’t go out and sit flat because St.
Paul’s will come after you, which they did,” he added, noting that both teams were probably
affected by the long stoppage in play. He said however, he advised his captain Yohannes
Mitcham, that they should go out and play hard and the coaching staff would keep him abreast of
the time that elapsed. “At the end of the day, he had two clear chances, but the last one he
finished for us,” Isaac added. 
 Manager of St. Paul’s Austin Lewis said his team had a sloppy start which led to their defeat.
“We started a bit rocky…whether we scored first or not, it was a sloppy start,” he said. This is
the first time in almost two years that St. Paul’s lost a match during the regular season of the
league. In Sunday’s earlier match, St. Peters F.C. earned their first win of the season, defeating
Jones Group Sandy Point FC 2-0.

 Scoring for St. Peters 
Shevene Boston 66th min 
Elanjah Govia 88th min 
Red Card
Tijauni Isaac (St. Peters) 77th min 
(Serious foul play) 

Coach Austin Huggins of St. Peters said things are coming together with his team, which he took
over just before the start of the season. “We did a lot of work after our first two matches. We
made some serious mistakes; we got a lot of work done on the training pitch. It came to fruition
today, so we will continue to build as we go forward, ironing out our mistakes and trying to
improve on the things we do better,” Huggins said.
 For Assistant Coach Kenneth Douglas of the newly promoted Sandy Point, his team is still
defeating itself. “Football is 90 minutes…we held out for 70 minutes and then we gave up two
goals,” Douglas said. He noted that his players might be young and a bit inexperienced, but they
must improve their level of play in the premier league.

You Might Also Like