Published 24 October 2023
Buckie Got It, St Kitts Nevis News Source
VACANCY NOTICE – APPRENTICE LAB TECHNICIAN
The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport wishes to invite suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Apprentice Lab Technician in the Public Works Department.
The chosen candidate will be responsible for going to job sites, conducting soil and other construction materials testing. Perform visual inspections of soils. Return samples to the office for laboratory testing. Report data in an accurate, complete, timely, and understandable fashion in accordance with applicable testing procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Apprentice Lab Technician’s day-to-day duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the performance of a variety of field and lab tests.
- Inspection/observation tests such as soil classification, sieve analysis, gradation, PH, moisture, nuclear density, sand equivalent, oven moisture, slump cone and masonry test, both in the laboratory and in the field.
- To assist Lab Technicians to ensure that projects are completed efficiently and successfully.
- Assist with the production of reports data of lab tests.
- Interpret data and samples.
- Keep Lab Technicians updated on all projects/ activities and challenges.
- Assist in the performance of quality control and quality assurance for field and lab works.
- Assist in the conducting of quality inspections during and after the construction of projects.
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Director and or the Chief Engineer or the Roads Engineers to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Academic Certificate showing a science subject.
- Able to write a basic report.
- Excellent Communication skills both written and oral
Knowledge & Skills:
In addition to the requirements above, the post holder must have the following skills:
- Knowledge of the construction industry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of products
- Valid driver’s license -optional
- Physically fit and able to lift equipment and samples.
- Ability to walk long distances.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to understand and willingness to follow policies and procedures of the Government systems.
Salary: K28-32 ($49,308-$57,228)
Applications must be accompanied by:
· Letter of Application
· Curriculum Vitae
· Police Record
· Official academic certificates, transcripts, and other relevant documents (certified copies)
· Two (2) references with telephone and e-mail addresses and should be addressed to:
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport
P.O. Box 186
Water Services Department
Needsmust, Basseterre, St. Kitts
The deadline for receipt of applications is 16th November 2023.