Published 24 October 2023
Buckie Got It, St Kitts Nevis News Source
VACANCY NOTICE – LAB TECHNICIAN
The Human Resource Management Department on behalf of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport wishes to invite suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Senior Lab Technician at the Public Works Department.
The successful candidate will be responsible for going to job sites, conducting soil and other construction materials testing. Perform visual inspections of soils. Return samples to the office for laboratory testing. Report data in an accurate, complete, timely, and understandable fashion in accordance with applicable testing procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of routine field and lab tests.
- Inspections/ observation tests such as soil classification, sieve analysis, gradation, pH, Moisture, nuclear density, sand equivalent, oven moisture, slump cone, and masonry tests, both in the laboratory and in the field.
- To delegate responsibilities when necessary to Lab Apprentices to ensure that projects are completed efficiently and successfully.
- Produce reports and data of lab tests.
- Interpret data and samples.
- Provide technical training and assistance as required to the technical team.
- Keep the Chief Engineer and the Road Engineers updated on all projects/activities and challenges.
- Being key personnel in managing the field and lab test works
- Perform quality control and quality assurance for field and lab work.
- Conduct quality inspections during and after the construction of projects.
- Actively document lessons learned and provide feedback to the technical team.
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Director and or the Chief Engineer or the Roads Engineers to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Tertiary Level Education (preferably certificate in Soil and Material Testing from a recognized tertiary institution).
- Able to write technical reports.
- Excellent Communication skills both written and oral.
Knowledge & Skills:
In addition to the requirements above, the post holder must have the following skills:
Strong knowledge in Soils and Materials Testing
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suite of products
- Valid driver’s license
- Physically fit and able to lift equipment and sample.
- Ability to walk long distances.
- Ability to manage junior staff.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to understand and willingness to follow policies and procedures of the Government systems.
Salary: Commensurate with applicants experience and qualifications
Applications must be accompanied by:
· Letter of Application
· Curriculum Vitae
· Police Record
· Official academic certificates, transcripts, and other relevant documents (certified copies)
· Two (2) references with telephone and e-mail addresses and should be addressed to:
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Energy & Utilities; Domestic Transport
Water Services Department
Needmust, Basseterre, St Kitts
The deadline for receipt of applications is 16th November, 2023.